Cycling is Safe
Position papers and validation of our contention that bicycling is a safe activity.
- Here is a talk supporting our position that Cycling is Safe.
- Here are the Power Point slides that accompany the talk.
- A Printable handout for Cycling is Safe.
- A Printable handout for Ride RIGHT (ride on the right side of the road).
Reforming Bicycle Traffic Laws
Your Ohio Bicycling Federation has the following proposals and informative articles available.
- We have proposed a series of Ohio Bicycle Law Reforms. These are also described in a 12-page booklet that can be given to lawmakers.
- We have written a Digest of Ohio Bicycle Traffic Laws that summarizes the laws and explains what they mean.
- For those with an interest in researching other aspects of the Ohio Revised Code, you can search it electronically.
- We have a new Bicycle Transportation Policy Statement to promote best practices, based on education for safe and effective bicycle transportation planning. This is suitable background information for those involved in local advocacy to present to planning boards and government agencies.
- We have also prepared a general article on Improving State & Local Cycling Laws that describes our advocacy work and seeks cooperation with cycling organizations in other states.
- Proposed Driver Test Questions to improve the level of knowledge about bicycle operation, safety and traffic law.
"Cyclist Friendly" Communities Award
"Bicycle Friendly" has become a buzzword, but what is important is treating cyclists fairly and encouraging the best and safest practices. Many of the most important measures to help cyclists cost little or nothing!
- Cyclist Friendly Communities Award includes a complete toolkit for improving conditions in your community and information on qualifying for this new award.
- Guidelines for a 'Cyclist Friendly Community' has lots of practical tips to make your city "friendly" to cyclists.
Ohio Bike and Pedestrian Crashes
OBF has developed maps showing the locations of bicycle and pedestrian crashes, which provide data to support the need for legislation to make the roads safer for cyclists and pedestrians.